Saturday, October 20, 2012

so...where the hell was biggles...when you needed him last saturday...






then: sous chef...

that's me...

chopping up an onion for tonight's fare...

listening to benefit from jethro tull and chopping onions...

michael collins, jeffrey, and me... 

those aren't tears...

it's the fucking onion.

it's a shame that it had to be you.

"what are you listening to", the wife asks

"jethro tull", i reply.

"why are you listening to this?"

i ponder for a minute and i realize that there is an entire piece of my life that i never shared with my wife and respond, "because jethro tull is the single most important band i've ever listened to in my life"

you see: i listened to tull alot

A LOT.

and after my first marriage dissolved, i couldn't listen to them anymore.

i had become too old...

too numb...

too drunk...

too damaged...

too... not the man i was. and i couldn't let ian be there to help me when i needed a lift. 

but recently: i realized i had been cheating myself all this time 

there is this other band that had been filling the hole 





they reminded me of green fields...

and the old lands...

and it was good...

and while eluveitie is quite good and saved me in a way...

they weren't tull. which was why i started listening to them again.

last january: i went to see mötörhead and my boss had remarked that you need to see all of the bands you love before you can never see them again.

which is how i ended up with tickets to see ian anderson perform thick as a brick 

two weeks ago: really don't mind is you sit this one out...

it was as if i was never gone. 

42 minute of the most important song of my life and while i know it was ian railing against emerson, lake, and palmer, it's my song. and i was glad to have it back in my life for one night only on the upper west side.

i hope they tour as jethro tull one last time.

it might make it all better one day.

or not. but for 42 minutes plus prostate jokes (there were A LOT of old hippies there) i felt better.

—the bastard

No comments: